As you look around your neighborhood, it is clear that not all of your neighbors care for their properties in the same way you would.  As a Norwich Township resident, if you have concerns that a property may be classified as a nuisance you may contact Norwich Township at (614) 876-7694 (calls can remain anonymous) or submit your concerns below. 

If you reside in the City of Hilliard, property concerns are addressed through the City of Hilliard Planning and Zoning Department.  You may submit concerns to Zoning Enforcement Officer, Kristie Shaffer via email at kshaffer@hilliardohio.gov or by phone at (614) 334-2366.  

Nuisance Concern(s)

NEW - Nuisance door hanger

The Township will begin using door hangers to notify residents of nuisance concerns due to excessive vegetation and debris, such as weeds and high grass, for Township unincorporated properties.  
NEW – Nuisance Door Hanger
Why would I get a door hanger? 
A door hanger is placed after the Township has 1) received a complaint and 2) has completed an inspection that identifies a property as being a potential nuisance. This notification provides additional time for landowners to remove the vegetation and/or debris voluntarily.

If the vegetation and/or debris is not removed voluntarily, the property will go before the Norwich Township Board of Trustees in a public meeting to declare it as a nuisance. Certified letters are then mailed to all landowners stating that within seven days from the receipt of the certified letter, the landowners must remove, or make arrangements to remove, the vegetation and debris. If the landowner does not remove or make arrangements to remove the vegetation and debris, the Trustees will designate the Township Road Department to resolve the nuisance issue, and all expenses to remedy the nuisance issue will be placed as a lien upon the property.

To report a property that may identify as a nuisance, contact Norwich Township at (614) 876-7694 or submit property concerns online at https://www.norwichtownship.org/residents/nuisance.php. Calls and submissions can remain anonymous.

Most Frequent Nuisance Concerns
Junk Motor Vehicles
On occasion, we receive concerns about junk motor vehicles on a Norwich Township property.  In those situations, we work closely with Franklin County Zoning and follow the Ohio Revised Code 505.173 to determine if the vehicle meets the definition of a “junk motor vehicle”.  The criteria followed is:

  1. Three model years old, or older;
  2. Apparently inoperable; and
  3. Extensively damaged, including, but not limited to, any of the following: missing wheels, tires, engine, or transmission.

If a vehicle meets the criteria, we are able to issue a resolution requiring the removal of the vehicle (pursuant to Ohio Revised Code 505.871). Contact Norwich Township at (614) 876-7694 (calls can remain anonymous) to notify the Township of a junk vehicle or contact the Franklin County Zoning Department directly at (614) 525-3094.

Grass/Debris Nuisance
When a homeowner’s grass, vegetation, garbage, refuse, and other debris creates a problem, Ohio Revised Code Section 505.87 allows the Township to visually inspect it and declare it a nuisance. Documentation of the nuisance must be approved at a Norwich Township Trustee meeting on the first Tuesday of the month. Once this occurs, the homeowner is notified via certified letter and given seven days to remove the nuisance. The process takes time; however, it typically resolves the problem. Contact Norwich Township with any issues or concerns about high grass at (614) 876-7694 (calls can remain anonymous).

Mosquito control within Norwich Township is provided by a contract with Franklin County Public Health (FCPH). More information can be found by visiting www.myfcph.org. You can report mosquito problems directly on the FCPH website, as well as request information on spraying in your neighborhood. 

Yard or Garage Sales
According to Section 503 of the Franklin County Zoning Resolution, not more than four residential garage sales including but not limited to yard sales, block sales, and moving sales shall be permitted in any 12 month period. Each residential garage sale shall not exceed four consecutive days. Contact Norwich Township with any issues or concerns about yard or garage sales at (614) 876-7694 (calls can remain anonymous).

For a list of Franklin County Zoning's "Most Frequent Nuisance Concerns", click HERE.